Councils have demonstrated flexibility, innovation, resilience and responsiveness during the COVID pandemic. The crisis has demonstrated councils’ ability to respond and reaffirmed the importance of subsidiarity and localism, with elected members and the workforce deeply rooted in their local communities.
That is why we are publishing a bold manifesto for localism ahead of the Senedd elections, setting out our priorities to deliver better and more sustainable outcomes for our communities.
A focus on preventive services, with greater flexibility to respond to local needs can empower councils to:
- promote well-being and encourage healthy, sustainable and vibrant communities
- improve outcomes for children and young people and learners
- deliver good quality and sustainable social care services for the future
- create good quality homes and safer communities for people to live and work, and
- support sustainable, inclusive growth and a green post-COVID recovery
The WLGA believes a localist framework, based on principles of partnership, mutual respect and subsidiarity with councils empowered and trusted, fairly funded and free to respond locally, will lead to better outcomes for our diverse communities’ and the delivery of the Senedd’s ambitions for Wales.
We commend our manifesto to you.
- Cllr Andrew Morgan - WLGA Leader
- Cllr Emlyn Dole - WLGA Plaid Cymru Group Leader
- Cllr Peter Fox OBE - WLGA Conservative Group Leader
- Cllr Hugh Evans OBE - WLGA Independent Group Leader